Wednesday 2 April 2014

Shyness

I wanted to touch on Shyness seen as I mentioned it in my post on "Who I am" -- I was thinking  this morning on what made me so shy .
Was I born this way?
Mum did say I was quiet as a baby, my nan was fairly quiet of nature as well so may of picked some of her characteristics up..
Was it because my sister done my talking growing up?
According to mum she always done the asking if she wanted a drink or any thing , she asked and we both got one being so close in age.. My big sister also craved attention where as I was happy to let her have it and be her shadow, I didn't need the extra attention so that is probably why I did keep my feelings to myself so as not to bring on that attention one gets when throwing tantrums..
Was it because when I did speak I got teased?
My sister always used to tease me about my voice when I was growing up, so that may be a contributing factor but that was just sibling rivalry so I wasn't to concerned about that.. At school though I used to hate reading out loud when I did in High School some of the boys (they weren't from my class) up the back also laughed which did upset me so I don't think the teacher made me do it again or I refused to I don't remember..

Reading my other post it must sound like I live in a world of silence and don't talk, it's not like that at all as I do get along with everyone and talk to them on meeting them in the street, that shy little girl only comes out when I feel vulnerable or in  uncomfortable situations .. I don't suffer from any anxiety disorders or mental illnesses my only medical condition is hypertention which was brought on with my pregnancies.. I don't like silence as I always turn on the TV or have music going so it is rarely quiet.

That shy little girl in 1973
I was the flower girl for my Auntie ..

A quote for the quiet types that usually get a tag of
 Quiet Achiever as they don't say much just toil away and get things done
without all the fanfare..
I have been trying to find something on the internet about shyness and what I've found so far is not what I experienced as I don't have any anxiety associated with being shy or going out in public or any other symptoms they seem to mention.  For me I think it is just a part of me I was born that way and maybe a fear of those awkward moments of silence that we all suffer from when you just have nothing to say or fear of not being heard because of my quiet voice as I also had to repeat everything most the time which can be a pain in the butt.. I'm not shy because I worry what others think of me as that has never worried me as I have always had a *quiet confidence in who I was and known my own limitations but (I do admit that some times I just need a little push in the right direction by those around me to get things done because of my stubbornness).

[*quiet confidence I knew who I was just kept it and my feelings to myself]..

I found this article interesting.. I have included a few paragraphs from it:- click link to read whole article..
("My more sensible self realises this is nonsense, and that shyness (or, for that matter, non-shyness) has no inherent meaning. There is nothing specific to shyness that makes you more likely to be a nice person, or a good listener, or a deep thinker. Shyness might have certain accidental compensations — being less susceptible to groupthink and more able to examine the habits and rituals of social life with a certain wry detachment, perhaps. Mostly it is just a pain and a burden.

Yet shyness remains a part of being human, and the world would be a more insipid, less creative place without it. As Cain argues, we live in a culture that values dialogue as an ultimate ideal, an end in itself, unburdening ourselves to each other in ever louder voices without necessarily communicating any better. Shyness reminds us that all human interaction is fraught with ambiguity, and that insecurity and self-doubt are natural, because we are all ultimately inaccessible to one another. The human brain is the most complex object we know, and the journey from one brain to another is surely the most difficult. Every attempt at communication is a leap into the dark, with no guarantee that we will be understood or even heard by anyone else. Given this obdurate fact, a little shyness around each other is understandable.")

 
The Music I'm listening to at the moment..
 
For those shy, quiet types don't feel bad because you are not like extroverts as you are not alone there are lots of other quiet types in the world that achieve great things they just don't make a grand entrance and let everyone know about it .. You are beautiful the way you are don't let others tell you any different don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and give your fears to your Angels so you can be all that you want to be .
xxx
 
 

No comments: